The Health Talk That Changed My Life

I haven't been writing in awhile coz I haven't been in the best of health. Like even up to now, I'm still having sporadic flu like when it comes, it comes. And sometimes I'm just lazy to dig my bag for the tissue and I'll just walk..with a wet nose, ha. Hoping nobody would notice but of course, if I'm in the crowd, eventually I will wipe it.

Only thing is that I am grateful that I do not have fever coz that will be the bane of my life. I remembered getting it in the middle of last year and then two weeks later, it came again. Actually, I did have a slight fever and I was aching a bit in the legs especially, but just not as much as last year. That was beyond control. If I could cry in public, I would coz it was that painful. But I was definitely feeling like I was being tortured on the inside.

Moving on, I just came back from the Johor trip. Pictures up soon but basically it was just us, lol. This was an annual thing for us and we almost didn't get to go today because my friend had a crisis but she managed to overcome it by taking a trip down to her office to get her keys which would be able to unlock the drawer. This drawer contained her valuables including her passport and her foreign currencies. Very the important, haha.

So we managed to get there by 2.40pm and while we still had to queue to get our passports stamped, the wait was still long but not as long as last year. 2 freaking hours. Anyway, more on that later.

Now I've been wanting to talk about this but kinda got sidetracked by my sickness. I attended this health talk two weeks ago and it sent me on a guilt trip because just the day before, I had KFC followed by McDonald's within a span of an hour or less. At first I didn't think much of it because the KFC meal was disappointing (don't waste your money on the KFC's famous bowl). 

The next day it struck me hard like after the talk, it struck me that I thought I had been neglecting my health. Yes I go to gym every Sunday until it becomes like a routine and yes I still avoid food that I shouldn't be eating. But after the talk, I felt that I truly took my health for granted. From then on, I avoided chocolates, chips and drank less sweet drink. 

I stopped eating nutella hazelnut spread for my bread to eat during lunch and switched to my regular fruit jam with natural sugars and I also started climbing stairs. It is tough love alright, especially when the there are 6 freaking sets of staircases from the Buona Vista MRT station to climb up. I'm still huffing and puffing when I reached the top and I'm always paranoid if people can hear my hard but controlled breathing. 

It's no mean feat climbing those stairs, by the way.

I also didn't snack on those cream biscuits unless I forgot my wholemeal biscuits and if I didn't eat something, my stomach will play music aka growl like crazy. Even if after eating the biscuits, usually in the mid morning, it will still growl -_- so I will therefore eat those biscuits to sustain the growl but just limit to one piece and drink water instead.

I don't eat chips anymore when I get home even though it's always very little like at most 4 pieces. I still eat fast food because I can't totally avoid it as my mum would ask me to buy at least once a week to feed my brother who will come back from camp. But I don't overeat like that day. We normally share or at least get one usual and one healthier choice meal like the grilled chicken wrap and corn cup instead of two packs of fries.

It may seem like a tough life to go through but believe me, if you set your eyes on something like losing a bit of weight not so much for vanity but for a healthier lifestyle, you don't see those sacrifices as fruitless. It will bring results, slowly but surely. And you will thank yourself for it once you see the results.

Within 2 weeks of course I can't see quick results but if there's any consolation, I do feel the difference. I know that it will be a matter of time only that I will also see the results. I know my body well enough that naturally I will know if I've gained a bit of weight or lost a bit of weight. I would like to think that it's the latter. Not much but I definitely can feel the difference. I can still see bumps in my tummy but it's not very obvious like you know, somehow it feels flatter a bit. But then again, it can be psychological, lol. Eh, who knows right.

I also learnt to do planking. Funny thing was that last time, I thought that this will be an impossible feat because I could hardly lift my butt. But now I can. Just that now I need to last until at least 30 seconds. Now probably 15 seconds, hehe. Small steps, remember. 

I actually got two free resistant bands that I can use for morning exercise. I was good for the first two days when I got the earlier band after the health talk and exercise demo until of course, I got sick. I would rather sleep longer coz I feel physically weak. Still, I have to find that bit of time even for just 15 minutes daily to do some exercise, including planking.

Again, if you set your mind to it, you will work your routine around exercise rather than the other way round. Don't get easily sidetracked like oh, you have to do this or that so you can't exercise. No. Just stop that. Instead, do it consistently and don't entertain those distracting thoughts too much. Set your mind for success and put in the extra effort. 

One of the best things you can do for yourself is to take pointers from others and telling yourself, if he or she can do it, so can you. Especially those who struggle even more than you but they don't give up so easily and instead just charge on and do their best to get from point A to point B.

Another thing is also to know why you're doing this. If you don't know why, you can easily fall back and stop doing it altogether. I've seen people bigger than me and who look so determined and work so hard at exercise in the gym and by the second week, I don't see them anymore. Don't overexert yourself. If you're going to do this for the long term, know why and also do it at a comfortable pace. Then slowly build up that pace and at times for a change, do something different so you don't get bored and you will get results faster too.

I'm taking this health thing seriously especially when I'm at an age where let't say, youth isn't going to cut it for me already. I have to work harder to maintain it or risk losing it all. Just ask J Lo. She's 40 plus but no, she has not slowed down and she looked way hotter than an average 20 plus, lol. 

Ok I shall end my health inspirational talk here, haha. All the best to you too if you want to have a healthier lifestyle too.

follow me on http://instagram.com/rahayupopz

Comments

Popular Posts