Our Trip to the Civic District Outdoor Festival 2017

Few weeks ago, I went to the Civic District Outdoor Festival organised by the Singapore National Gallery with my younger brother. Honestly, I'm mostly under the rock about such events, haha. So I have to rely on my bro to know about the going-ons of these mostly free events. 

So we had the projection done on the facade of the National Gallery. I don't have a picture of the short animated film but below, you can see how it looked like. It's basically a projection that played with lights in different colours, heights and so on..making use of the ridges of the building facade. Honestly, I still think the best one I saw was years ago at the Singapore Art Museum. It really felt like the pillars were animated or moving. Now, it just looks like a huge projection screen, lol.

But of course, I'm no animator or light expert, haha..and I know these things are really expensive and really hard to make. So I would usually bother to stay and watch until the end..lost..but nevertheless, if you can just appreciate the work itself, it's actually pretty good. For this one, I don't understand the meaning behind the short animated film coz I'm no artsy fartsy person but the lights were really colourful and captivating




See, this cute lighted bunny? There were several of them in different positions at the Padang and they were actually big white floating balloons and of course, they make perfect IG feed, haha. But it was pretty hard to take one on its own so please don't mind the small kid in front of it. It was not fluffy but it was still very cute and popular of course, both with kids and adults alike.


So remember the show I mentioned earlier? It was called Hemera's feast. Don't ask me what was it about but just I guess, in short, it was about this someone called Hemera who got greedy. 

I told you I'm useless at interpreting artsy fartsy stuffs.



While walking around, there were also stalls selling food. We bought the churros and waited about 5 minutes and gobbled them in less than 1 minute, haha. There were stalls with long queues and we actually wanted to try this stall that was selling burgers but we were good with the gobbled down churros.

Then we also spotted this figurine below. It's like a 3D larger than life doodle but still cute, nevertheless. Somehow my outfit that day matched perfectly.



As we walked along the whole area, there were more stalls selling food and we just kaypoh or busybody check them out but keep the money where it was still. There were many young entrepreneurs selling things like trinkets and food and art related stuffs as well. I hope that this event would give them some exposure for the businesses.

On the lawn, there were also people making art through drawing, sketching and colouring. We admired one drawing and colouring..it was really really good. My brother was like, I can't even draw a perfect stick figure.

Okay moving on..

Below we took a picture in front of this old building which had been given a facelift in recent times. Gosh, I can't remember the name. For this event, it also transformed into a colourful facade and the images would change randomly and it was so beautiful! 

There were people who were just chilling in the front lawn with their mats and some were eating the food bought from the nearby stalls. They also set up some hammocks so if there were nobody (rare case), you could plonk yourself down and just enjoy the chilling blue sky and admire the stars above. 

You like these kind of events? We went on Friday and it was crowded but we could still walk around comfortably. I heard the next day on the weekend, it was so packed especially the Padang with the bunny floats. If you can, head down during the weekdays. There will be the upcoming Night Festival. Look forward to the next blog post on this event :)





Comments

Popular Posts