Imagining My Life to be Different

Last Saturday, I was imagining a little on how different my life would be if certain things didn't happen to me, reciprocated on a potential love interest or making certain decisions. Many people believe that our life story has been pretty much been written in our fate and that we're just acting it out, whether we like it or not.

But that aside, I want to take a moment on imagining how I would be different. Perhaps, I would have gotten married if I had not built it early in me many many years ago that I do not want to be tied down to a marriage. Or perhaps, I wasn't so choosy in the guys who wanted to get to know me and that I shed all my inhibitions and just you know, 'go for it'. Then I sheepishly think oh, I probably will get married and have at least 3 children, haha.

I don't see anything wrong with being married, having kids and so on. It's just a natural transition to have your own family when you're an adult and earning income, whether working for a company or self employed. Whether people get married for lifelong companionship or whether they choose to have children or not, I don't judge. So I also appreciate if people don't judge single people as well, but that's another story.

Back to my 'imagination'. I can imagine running taking care of a teeny baby and then seeing them grow up and being a little more demanding to get the things they want. And then on top of that, I have to balance family life and my working life. Going home to my family, preparing dinner for them and then making sure my children do their homework before I can FINALLY go to bed. 

I am also imagining my mum being more open about me going on dates and seeing other people who may not necessarily be of my race and religion. I know most parents will be concerned who they children go out with, even if they are adults and are capable of making their own decisions. But it's a little helpful if I don't have to worry so much about telling my mum that I am going out with a guy without her quickly jumping to conclusions that he's going to end up as my life partner. I mean we have to keep our options because marriage is a serious matter.

As marriage also gives you a lifetime companionship, well generally speaking, I can share what goes on in my life during the day with my husband. Having a partner in life, I also feel that I have someone to support me, emotionally and not just erm..financially, to rely on and to grow old with. Of course again, this is an idealistic life but to me, when you're in a committed relationship, both partners play an important part. 

Marriage aside, I am also trying to imagine what if my life would be doesn't revolve around my financial status. Like I can spend on things and not having to carry this guilt that I have lesser to spend on my family. Besides my monthly salary, I also have a steady stream of income from other sources, that help to keep me worry free because I have more to spend so I won't go broke. I can indulge in my purchases and support the family

Then imagine too, if I have my own family, I also have to think about how my current purchases will have impact on the family's needs. If my husband and I contribute to the family income, perhaps it's not so much a burden but then again, we also have to plan ahead with the children's education, taking care of their needs and so on.

So I don't know, if my life will be better off if I have more to spend or if I get married. I think most important is living your current life fully and not to think about the what if's or being upset it doesn't turn out to be how we imagine it to be.

Life surprises us in many different ways. It's not a bad thing to be rich or poor. It's also not a bad thing to be married or single. It's just a matter of always trying to improve our lives for the better, living life to the fullest and choosing things that make us happy. There are poor people who are happy with what they have and there also rich people who are not happy. So let's be real and start living :)

Comments

Popular Posts